Tuesday, December 20, 2011

One fine winter day









I can hardly believe it's been five weeks since I left the states. It's good that time is passing quickly, but it also makes me very aware how much I have to grab every opportunity I can before the days pass me by. So today was my "day off" (those happen more by chance, like someone canceling our plans), which allowed me the morning to study and the afternoon to wander. I took my camera and did my best to take pictures but...you really can't do justice to the charm and grandeur of Italy. I chose to live in Vicenza last time I was here because the city just awe-inspires me. Every street you pick to walk down, every corner you turn, every time you look up at the city around you...I just can never breathe it all in to my full satisfaction. My strategy for wandering Vicenza: try and get lost. Wander is the perfect word: don't pick a destination, just see where you arrive. Don't go too fast, don't bother window shopping; the best things to see aren't on display or with a pricetag. I ride my bike because it gets me to centro storico (the historic center, inside the city walls) faster, but then I end up walking my bike all through the city because riding makes it pass too quickly. And that would mean I have to watch where I'm going too. So I really enjoy the tiny streets, and peeking in every open gate that leads to a grand courtyard inside. That's the crazy part. The streets seem narrow and it looks like the buildings are just jammed together, but then you look inside a large gate or arch, where a car is going in, and inside you see their hidden oasis, clean, calm, and not nearly as "jammed" as you'd think from the streets. I also love the parks in Vicenza. There's always other people, but they are always serene, quiet, respectful. It's like an outdoor library, minus the books. Everyone seems to know the silence code. I love it...did I mention that? So here's a few shots for you all to enjoy. I can't express enough to you how much you need to come and see it for yourself though.
I'm off to the mountains with some friends on the 26th, so I will post more fun after that. Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment