Thursday, August 27, 2009

Roma!






So, my first week of real vacation in Italy and I go to Rome. Even I thought I was a little crazy at first, seeing as I had spent the last five weeks in smaller towns, enjoying the calmer side of life in Italy. Well, it didn't take me long to adjust to Rome, I must admit. As hesitant as I was, the city grows on you quickly. Public transportation is a breeze, the people are easy to like, and the history and sites are......breathtaking. It's funny, though, as much as I'd heard of Rome I really had no idea what I wanted to see. But thanks to some other tutors I was staying with, and enough time to see more than just the biggest tourist attractions, I really got to make the most of my week.

We spent an afternoon touring Ostia Antica, about a half hour metro ride outside of the city. The Roman Ruins are impressive right in the heart of Rome, but if you want a quieter and more in depth look at what the powerful empire used to be, Ostia is a great place to go. I hit up the Colosseum, of course, and the Roman ruins, hung out on the Spanish steps for an evening, walked the ancient Appian Way, went to Vatican City at the break of day (thanks to my friend's wise guide book-it said get up early and beat the crowds, it's worth it-and it was), wandered around and found some great food in Trastevere, found some fabulous street markets, and of course got to attend my religious convention (the whole reason for my going to Rome that week). My absolute favorite though was Trevi Fountain. I can't tell you why, but there was just something absolutely enticing about it. Even as drenched with tourists as it was, I still found it to be my favorite place to go and sit and just soak in life in Rome. I've got more pictures than this blog could fit, so I'm just putting a few of the best. Hope you enjoy!

Just in case you don't know, here's Rome:

View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment